Putting up signs along State Highways — Many options are available

by guest blogger Jamie Holter

Have you ever wondered, “Wouldn’t it be cool to get my business name on one of those blue highway signs?” Sure, it would. We recognize that local businesses contribute to our local economy so we do our best to get the word out.

Businesses can apply to the Motorist Information Sign Program (MIS Program). These are the blue and brown signs you see along highways and intersections that notify drivers of nearby gas, food, lodging, camping, tourist activities or 24-hour pharmacies. Prices for the MIS Program range between $1 and $2.50 per day for signs visible to both directions of travel. You can apply online and have your business on one of those signs too.

You can also purchase advertising space at rest areas. We also allow businesses to purchase advertising space on six Washington State Ferry runs and at four terminals. For more details, e-mail a WSDOT sales contractor.

If you are part of a community organization, there are also things that you can do to advertise. Local organizations can paint murals that are visible to state highways as long as they do not contain distracting words or commercial advertising. You can also purchase off-site advertising space such as billboards by contacting a billboard company.

You can also get your name on a highway sign by adopting a section of highway.

We have to strike a delicate balance - providing safety for the motoring public and providing information  about goods and services available near the highway. We don’t charge very much to advertise local businesses on signs, but we do make sure the signs are simple, informative and not a distraction. The business must provide a benefit to drivers.

When it comes to signs, we try to be as flexible as possible to constituent concerns and needs. That’s why we try to find new ways to help people advertise and keep drivers safe from distractions at the same time. Learn more information about highway advertising.